Job title: Health and Safety Officer
Location: Covering North Westregion, office based in Burnley
Benefits: Generous company car scheme/car allowance, Pension scheme, Life assurance (2 x salary), 24 days’ holiday + bank holidays
Stonbury is a market leader in the niche area of civil engineering within the water industry. Our company’s success can be attributed to our extensive knowledge and experience gained from working closely with our clients to deliver a range of cost-effective engineering solutions including the repair, refurbishment and maintenance of water company reservoirs, and associated assets along with the new construction of new assets to values up to £2m.
We are looking to recruit a Health and Safety Officer covering the Northwest of the country. Reporting to the QSE Manager, the successful candidate will assist in the continual improvement of Safety Health Environmental Quality Brand (SHEQB) across Stonbury Ltd by providing advice and guidance to site-based staff during the audit process. The ideal candidate will be a good communicator, able to liaise confidently and deal with a variety of people face-to- face, in writing and on the telephone. Please note that there will be a requirement to travel extensively within a defined region and work away (with overnight stays) on a regular basis.
The day-to-day duties
- The Health and Safety Officer will carry out a monthly on-site audit on each of the company’s crews.
- Undertake Health and Safety mentoring and coaching of site personnel.
- Deliver specified training courses (e.g. EUSR Water Hygiene/DOMS Scotland, Fire Marshal, Manual Handling, Asbestos Awareness, In-house Working at Height, Face Fit Testing and Abrasive Wheels) in support of Stonbury’s Health and Safety goals.
- Identify and record site observations in readiness for compiling monthly report.
- Prepare and submit report on audit findings for data entry onto the company’s tracking system.
- Deliver on-site ‘tool box talks’ and identified campaign messages to company crews in order to provide guidance on Health and Safety best practice.
- Follow the Stonbury 10 Commandments at all times.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications required:
- NEBOSH Certificate in Construction Health and Safety.
- Able to work alone own and using own initiative to solve problems and complete daily tasks.
- Full clean UK driving licence.
- Organised, focused and self-determined.
- Possess a positive attitude and be committed to high levels of care for staff.
- Able to work flexibly in line with business requirements.
- Strong IT skills, in particular MS Excel.
- Some experience of site auditing with a particular focus on Health and Safety.
- Knowledge in the use of excavators and dumpers on construction sites.
- Experience gained with a Civil Engineering background.
- Train the trainer or coaching/mentoring skills.
What the company will offer:
- Very competitive salary
- Company car scheme/car allowance
- Pension scheme (6% contribution by the company)
- Life assurance (2 x salary)
- 24 days’ holiday + bank holidays
If you wish to apply for the position of Health and Safety Officer please click the apply button