This is a fantastic opportunity within Europe's leading missile and missile systems group for a Principal Software Engineer to join our Mission Planning & Control Software team in Bristol. You will be working within a dynamic team, exploiting software engineering technologies in order to deliver innovative solutions to complex challenges.
- You will be part of a team developing a wide range of software solutions across multiple projects for various weapon systems.
- Involvement in the development of the next generation of Mission Planning software in a multinational context.
- Work on projects ranging from weapon sub-system software through to Mission Planning & Control software.
- Create software using varied development methods predominately based on the C++ language.
- This hands-on role with involvement in most stages of the software engineering lifecycle.
What's in it for you?
The opportunity to work across a broad range of weapon system products with a wide range of contemporary software technologies that are leading edge in the defence domain,.
- This is a great role for someone with a passion for software and its successful deployment in modern weapon systems.
- Many of our products and components used in this domain are the result of strong international collaboration; consequently, there may be the opportunity to travel both within the UK and to our sites in France and Italy.
- We offer a supportive working environment with the opportunity to learn and develop your skills across a wide range of products and technologies.
What's great about the team?
- Because the Mission Planning & Control Software team is part of a wider multinational function unique opportunities exist to leverage shared information about different technologies and methods from the other national teams.
- We are a strong cohesive team who operate interactively, strongly favouring a supportive approach with a shared passion for software technologies.
What are we looking for?
- A sound understanding and use of C++ and or Java for software development.
- Ideally a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering combined with some experience in the development of software for formal delivery.
- Possess a collaborative and open approach to software development, with the ability to inspire others and maintain momentum during development.
- Strong communication skills are essential - the software being developed will be used across multiple products and sites.
- Ideally you will have a background in software engineering, with good knowledge of modern development practices and knowledge of software testing approaches.
- Experience of using the Eclipse integrated development environment and/or NetBeans is highly desirable.
- An appreciation for the use of software tools in the software development lifecycle, such as Rational Team Concert, DOORS and LDRA Testbed, are also desirable.
- Working knowledge of standards such as DefStan 00-55 & RTCA 178B/C, and restricted coding standards such as MISRA C++, would be desirable.
- The ideal candidate would have some knowledge of using UML, in particular IBM Rhapsody.
You will demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Be capable of developing long term collaborative relationships with team members, and;
- Ability to drive development forward by exploiting both the teams and your knowledge together with enthusiasm to produce high quality products in a timely manner.
- An adaptable approach and ability to context switch between multiple software projects at various stages of the software development lifecycle.
What you would get
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note thatin order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)