From ground-breaking ophthalmic screening that could save your eyesight, to connectors that carry power and data signals through the most hazardous and challenging environments, our products are about solving pressing problems through lateral thinking, practical engineering and cutting-edge technology. Employing over 1,000 people, we deliver these solutions to more than 7,000 distribution partners spanning more than 125 countries, with over 100,000 end-users across all seven continents – and in outer space.
We create and develop products for the networked, always-on world. Products that monitor, control and connect. Products used in thousands of ways that affect our everyday lives. Combining the dynamism of a start-up with the resources of a global player, Elektron Technology is home to a diverse collection of brands : Bulgin, Checkit, Queensgate Nano, Elektron Eye Technology and Sheen Instruments.
Working as part of the Product Development Team, with specific responsibility for electronics design, this role covers the entire lifecycle of the product, from initial concept through design, validation, field trials, release into production and maintenance. The successful candidate will be completing design work using low power digital and analogue systems using embedded microprocessors operating at up to 600MHz, FPGAs and standard communications interfaces such as USB and Ethernet. The role will require practical experience of designing complex circuits and mentoring of junior staff. Day to day tasks will also involve designing to achieve the most cost effective solution for manufacture, and as such experience of lean manufacturing would be desired.
Key Accountabilities :
Contribution of electronic design expertise and innovation to the new product development processes from architecture and concept definition through to detailed modelling, design and product qualification.
An accurate understanding of product requirements and the system architecture is essential.
Generation of detailed specifications and design of subsystems and components with a focus on :
- Functionality and performance in the specified applications.
- Robustness, reliability and durability
- Manufacturability, testability and yielded unit cost
- Ease of integration in end-use systems
- Optimal choice of components and manufacturing methods.
- Participation in cross functional design reviews.
- Timely release of complete design information for manufacture by project phase.
- Delivery of high quality documentation and reports.
- Hands-on involvement in design verification and validation.
- Manufacturing support.
- Meeting of challenging project deadlines while assuring high quality solutions.
- Helping to build the core knowledge, best practices and design standards for the team, department and company.
Person Specification :
The Senior Electronics Engineer will have a high skill level in the fundamentals of electronics engineering including :
- Mathematics and statistics
- Analogue design: Analogue signal conditioning, power supplies
- Digital design: Embedded microprocessors and interfaces
- Schematic capture, simulation and layout tools (CAD) for fully toleranced designs.
- Designing for EMC compliance
- Design, system and process FMEA
The Senior Electronics Engineer will be :
- Able to contribute and thrive in an exciting, dynamic, and fast moving environment.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and cross-functional working skills.
- Innovative along with a methodical and systematic approach to work.
- Detailed and quality conscious with a sharp focus on schedule and delivery.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator.
Qualifications and Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- Substantial experience gained working with complex analogue/digital products in industrial environments.
- Schematic capture, simulation and CAD modelling essential - Orcad would be an advantage.
- Understanding of design tolerancing.
- Designing for EMC compliance, product approvals and design for manufacture
- Familiarity hardware/software/mechanical design tradeoffs/system architecture
- Familiarity with programming devices in C and/or assembler
- Familiarity with RF including Zigbee, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi standards
- Experience of using PDM systems for engineering change