This guest post comes from experienced career coach Michelle Bayley who helps people at all levels through career change…
“If you ask them, most people will say that they’ve stayed for too long in at least one job in their career. We sometimes just slip into a vague feeling of “this job isn’t right for me anymore” while simultaneously convincing ourselves things will improve and it’ll all work out fine. And in some cases they will – your team or company could just be going through some changes that make you uneasy while everything else about your job is a good match for you.
But what are the signs to look out for that tell you you’re experiencing more than a temporary blip and it really is time for a change? See if you recognise any from the list below…
- You find yourself moaning about the same things over a long period of time. We all have a moan from time to time but think about your main moans – are they still the same as they were a year ago? If it’s all feeling a bit like Groundhog Day and, most importantly, you don’t have any influence to change whatever’s bothering you, it’s either time to tell yourself that, on reflection, you can live with what you’re moaning about or to move on.
- You aren’t contributing anymore. When you find yourself in meetings thinking that you can’t be bothered to make a point, you’ve somehow disengaged from whatever you’re working on or maybe from the team you’re in. Ask yourself what’s going on that’s made you feel like withdrawing.
- You don’t see the point in what you’re doing and/or what your organisation is doing. Most people tend to have some aspects of their job which feel a bit pointless, but if the majority of what you do is feeling that way then it’s going to be an uphill struggle to get motivated. And if you don’t see the point in what your company is doing full stop, although you might be able to put that to the back of your mind for a while, eventually, the chances are you’ll start feeling as though you’ve sold out on yourself.
- Your friends and/or family tell you how unhappy you sound. There’s nothing like honest feedback from the people who know you best (and who’ve been listening to you for a long time) to wake you up to the fact that something, or several things, aren’t right for you about your job.
- You feel bored. For some people staying in the same role and perfecting what they’re familiar with is great. And for others, it’s really not… If it feels like you’re stagnating and the last time you felt challenged was answering that tricky question at the Christmas quiz, it’s time to start job hunting. Continue reading “10 Signs That Tell You it’s Time for a Change of Job” »